USA Track & Field New England
Board of Governors Meeting
May 2, 2011
Attendance: Steve Viegas, Jim Garcia, Stephen Peckiconis, Lisa Doucett, Tiera Fletcher, Justin Kuo, Steve Vaitones, Jen Lee, Gary Snyder, Mike Travers, Larry Libow
Telephone: Caitlyn Clark
Meeting called to order at 7:10 PM
Approval of March 7th and April 4th minutes delayed due to last minute changes.
- March YTD posted on Google Docs
- Proceeds from a $64K CD maturing on 05/03 will be deposited in the Association accounts. Due to low interest rates the continuance of a CD ladder is not the best solution.
- Association CPA Paul DeVasto filed for a tax return extension until 8-15. After a discussion about annual cost he said 2011 cost should be reduced due to less hours.
Motion: To approve the continuance of the current CPA, Paul DeVasto for this year. Carried unanimously.
- Marja Bakker fund at between $27-28k, which includes $10k from her estate. Funds not broken out in current financial statements.
Managing Directors Report
- 135 clubs
- 237 sanctions
- 3107 members
- Marathon Booth, which was shared with Bay State Games was well worth it. Poster boards added interest. Staffing is important.
- Rode on photo truck for marathon.
- Officiating at Boston City League meets during week. Participation down.
- Youth meets in Waltham and Needham draw over 100.
- Regis College facility secured for NE T&F Championship meet on 6-12
- MIT mini meets dates are 5-25, 6-1, perhaps 6-8.
- Exchange Zone material due next week.
- James Joyce Ramble 10k Grand Prix race did not provide sufficient pre race information regarding the prize structure. LDR Chair liaison might have prevented issue.
Facebook/Social Media Policy
Steve Viegas explained we need a written policy for the material that is posted and who should have the different levels of access to do so.
Athlete of the Month
- Send email to John Oleski with suggestions and comments.
- New flash process seems to be working.
NE Association T&F Championships – June 12th Regis College
- Jim Garcia to update meet entry to reflect prize structure
- Larry Eder to provide shoes to 400m winners
- Steve Vaitones said have enough officials
- Discussion about various marketing options
NE Association Masters T&F Championships – August 6th Providence RI
- Mike Travers and Stephen Viegas co-meet directors
- Planning on schedule
NE Association Awards Banquet
- Jim Garcia explained the progress
- Proposed date is 11-18
- 100-140 attendees
- $40 PP target with about $15 PP association subsidy
- Location not identified as yet
Track & Field Meeting
Current chair, Dave Callum is very busy and doesn’t have time for chair responsibilities and would consider a replacement.
Marja Bakker Fund
No guidelines at present
Steve Vaitones will provide a statement explaining Marja’s wishes
Some funds came from her estate
Larry Libow Grant Request
Motion – To grant $800 from the Marja Bakker Fund to support the
Howard Drew Springfield Mayor's Cup
Second by Mike Travers
Passed unanimously with Larry Libow abstaining
Motion to adjourn at 9:00 PM