USATF-New England Coaching Information
USATF Coaching Education ProgramA complete and detailed summary of the USATF Coaches Education program and coaching schools is available at www.usatf.org.
We recommend that you check out that site if you are involved with coaching.
The USATF Coaching Education program provides educational opportunities for all levels of coaches, from grass roots to the elite level. The program is comprised of three progressional levels.
- Level 1 presents a basic knowledge course in 21 hours over 2 1/2 days that emphasizes rules, basic sport science, and teaching progressions through classroom as well as hands-on training. After the school, participants complete an online exam
Multiple Level 1 schools are offered each year around the country. The New England association attempts to hold a Level 1 school at least every second year.
- As of 2015, Level I certification i now be renewable every four years to match the Olympic cycle. To open the new recertification, a "grandfather clause" will be offered from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2020. A Level I coach who rails to recertify through the 2020 Olympic quadrennium as of 12/31/2016 will be removed from the USATF coach certification database.
To retain Level I certification, a coach who received the Level I prior to 1/1/2013 and has not obtained Level 2 Certiciation must meet new certification guidelines. The new recertifciation process can be found at the National website
- Level 2 is two parts, both five days in length. Part one, which needs to be completed just once, covers Training Theory, Sports Psychology, Physiology, and Biomechanics.
Part two focuses on specific groups - Sprints/Hurdles/Relays, Endurance, Jumps, Throws, and Combined Events There are pre-requisites to take Level 2, and Level 2 schools may be taken multiple times to learn more than one event group. Currently, only one Level II is offered a year in the US.
- Level 3 courses are high-level seminar structure educational experience in specific event areas.
Level 3 podium presentations are offered at various times of the year.
The new Youth Level 2 school was introduced in 2010. It is a 5 day school focusing on the unique training required for elite youth athletes. It prepares coaches to train youth athletes for high level competition while adhering to the sound principles of growth and development of the youth athlete. Event specific training in the four broad event groups, and emphasis on outreach and talent identification, growth and development, nutrition, and sport psychology and ethics. It is not offered every year.
Youth Club Coaches Background Checks
USATF has, like all youth sports organizations, implemented a required online Background Screening for all Coaches and Volunteers in clubs with members 17 years old and younger.
Click here for more information about the screening process (recommended reading!).
The check is done online though TClogiQ. Click here to begin the background screening process.
Clubs not complying with having coaches obtain a background check may not be eligible for club practice insurance and other club benefits. "Coach" credentials at major USATF meets will not be issued to individual lacking a completed background check.
Specific questions about the online Background Screening program should be directed to TCLogiq or the USATF national office (not to the New England office).
Coaching Education opportunities in New England
Clinics and presentations for coaches and athletes will be posted in this area
- March - annually - Mass.State Track Coaches Association Annual Clinic, Marlborough MA. 1 1/2 days of presentations geared to the high school coach, but is open to all. Largest of its type in New England. www.mstca.org or contact Mark Thornhill firstname.lastname@example.org
Coaching Help Wanted in the association
Coaching Positions available in the New England association will be advertised in this location.
Paid or volunteer positions in all disciplines for youth and open clubs, high schools, and colleges may be listed. There is no fee for postings, which will remain up for 4 weeks or until filled.
- Amherst Track Club - Youth club in Amherst NH needs field event coaches each summer. Contact George Bower email@example.com
- Metropolis TC - Youth club in metro Boston area looking for part time volunteer coaches for sprints, hurdles, and race walk. Contact Coach Saleena at firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinics for Athletes
Clinics, and notes on the intended audience (youth, novice, experienced) will be announced here.
Articles of Interest - The Basics